Monday, October 30, 2006

Hey It's Hay


One of the greatest innovations to farming in my eyes was the advent of round bales. Built to be picked up by hay forks installed to a tractor or pick up, they drastically cut out a lot of manual labor.

I hated loading square bales with a passion in my youth. Eventhough it was a way to make a quick buck, it was definantly not easy money. You sweated your balls off bucking up hay in the summer just to freeze your ass off in the winter putting it out for the cattle. Now it can be done from the comfort of an air conditioned or heated cab. Now that is progress worth having.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't about sweaty balls, but I sure as hell remember that awful rash you'd get on your arms no matter how many long sleeve shirts you put on to try and protect them. Good times!

3:22 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

:P Fuzzbox - Check out these

Round bales

in Iceland... They were so cool to see laid out over the countryside.

4:23 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Vic, the rashes are bad and the itching is nearly unbearable.

Terry, those look cool. It reminds me of the tarped cotton modules. I will have to post a pic of them.

Mimi, they would certainly make an elephant roar.

10:41 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

one time when i was very young and adventerous..me and a fella...well
lets just say i was picking staw out of my ass for a week..but the stars were big and bright and the breeze was soooo cool ...

12:03 AM  
Blogger Manuel Tendero Gil said...

HOLA UNAS FOTOS MUY BUENAS UN SALUDO

1:11 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Jackie Sue, that story reminds me of a story that is best told elsewhere. Thanks for reminding me of a time in my youth.

Manuel, gracias mi amigo.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home