Monday, May 22, 2006

The Wooden Windmill


In the hot and arid West Texas, water means life. If one was lucky their spread had a creek or river running through it but for the most part water meant a well. The winds of West Texas were perfect for use of the windmill.

Most of the windmills nowadays are made of gleaming metal and submersible pumps and electrification has outdated many of the windmills. The old wooden windmills to me are far more interesting to look at as the mill turns and creaks and brings forth the lifegiving element of water.

3 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I have an Uncle that is fond of telling the story of bringing home a college buddy who was from back east. A bunch of cows were sitting around the windmill and water tank chewing on their cud in the heat of a summers day. The buddy asked him what the windmill did. My uncle told him that it was a cattle fan and was put up so the breeze from the fan could cool the cows down on hot days.

9:08 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

It is kind of hard to believe that anyone is that gullible. But they do say that a sucker is born every minute. And this guy was the whole lollipop.

8:36 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

In Lubbock, which is the largest 'city' that I am close to, there is a Windmill museum. I have not gone through it yet but I have driven by it. They have some remarkable restored windmills. I plan on going and posting some of the pics that I will take. Windmills are wonderful pieces of nostalgia. They always bring to my mind a simpler time.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home